Precious.....
It's no idle boast when I say that through the ages men & women both lusted for me
Some people would go to any lengths to possess me, some even died for me.
and some wept openly begging me to be theirs forever
Small wonder that whenever someone utters my name, fierce emotions are aroused
I still feel the power of my passing, because in me resides the fate of billions.
Oh! you think I am just bragging, but nay I do not boast, I merely state facts
no matter how distasteful it is to for you to hear.
The passions that I aroused are still topics of long discussions & one can still find
many a tome larded with scholarly erudition & some with idle political kant.
Like Helen of Troy epic wars have been fought over me,
And like The Great Caesar himself, I Came, I Saw & I Conquered
Not that I am a mighty Warlord or despotic King, Nor am I filled up with too much hubris.
I never desired for people to exalt me to such a godlike pedestal
It just came naturally to my legions of followers and lovers.
It just is.. and there is nothing that I can do about it.
Before you jump to any rash conclusions just bear with me while I tell you my tale,
I leave the decision to your own sense of fairness to judge my guilt or innocence
----------
Oh those were heady times
Well do I remember that hour of my coming
I was clad in spotless whites fashioned by mother Change herself,
As I entered the clock in the room struck the hours of midnight.
The hall went quiet as they saw my approach to the Dais,
A dapper white clad man with smart black shoes with a rose buttoned on his lapel approached the mike no doubt to address the gathering & say a few words in my welcome,
A deep hush fell on all who were present for it was an important day, for most of them who had gathered there from all corners filling that small but ornate hall,with a high ceiling and slowly circulating fans.
All eyes were riveted on him as I stood at his elbow and whispered into his ear.
He well knew the significance of my words and so did the others who were met there in that hall.
In loud assured tones, of fluent English with a slight trace of an Indian Accent, and a definite stamp of a British Public School Education the man started to speak
Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes
when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure,
but very substantially.
At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world
sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.
A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history,
when we step out from the old to the new,
when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long
suppressed, finds utterance.{+}
Oh!!
I see that enlightenments dawns,
yes...yes...
I was that moment in time,
So tell me now that did you not feel the weight of my presence on your shoulder and didn't a thrill run down your spine as you read the words of that man who was Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru The First Prime Minister of The Republic of India spoke then
Photo Courtesy :Harappa
See the full video
Technorati Tags:Indian Independce Day, Nehru Speech, Tryst With Destiny



What a wonderful post, Zofo. I applaud your effort and the feelings that motivated you to write this.
ReplyDeleteWhen it began, I instantly knew .. what you were talking about.. but it was written in such luminous and graceful words .. that I did not even blink once .. I'll come back to read it again a few times ..
Amazing image too ..
Happy Independence Day .. :)
How filled with pride I am can be felt by billions around me ... thats the power my nation holds
ReplyDeleteCan I say anything beside JAI HIND
Proud to be Indians
Alok
Sigh .. I am not able to open that link you left :( Tried a couple of times .. will try from somewhere else .. meanwhile read this post again .. it really is very nice :)
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written!!!!
ReplyDeleteIndia is doing really great these days. Here the Chicago Tribune had a very laudatory editorial on India ... Not that we need any foreign newsmedia to eulogize our progress, we are confident of our intrinsic strength ... but it still feels nice ...
Just a thought, you have a tendency towards anthropomorphization, I guess ...
I am sorry I did not respond to your comment, but I sincerily appreciate it ... Very honestly orchids and butterflies are swirling on my mind these days.
u added the you tube song ...
ReplyDeleteits damn neat ...
alok
Oh, this is a simply post. I loved every word as also the video and the song...an wonderful tribute to our motherland India!
ReplyDeleteThis was different. It felt forceful, yet not overwhelming. One can feel strong proud feelings flowing.... wonderful.
ReplyDelete