The sky purple and deep above the fast black surface. In the half light before dawn all the violet and the rare shadows reveal colors we cannot name, something beyond cobalt and viridian and umber. The dew wet pavement streaks the streetlamp light in silvery cold with dapples of thick heavy dewdrops and my body relishes the splash of the cool damp air. The heat of the previous day forgotten…
The big road running to my left looks like India ink, the asphalt which shimmers with the heat wave during the day is now a mirror of reflections of car windows and headlights and the pale glow of street lights of sodium gas lamps soak into my eyes….
I can hear the cars traveling on the road, the hollow rush of the tires and engines and the quick dull thump as the tires roll over the steel joints of the span of the nearby bridge.
Something in me loves a bridge like I love dreams in which I’m flying. The suspension, the rise coinciding with the falling away of the ground, the feeling of traveling over water.
Something in me fears a bridge like I hate dreams in which I’m flying. The pinprick feeling at the nape of my neck of no solid ground, the notion I might jump and fall, the ending of the dream.
As the night’s curtain parted for dawn I could see the blue and the branches, tall slumbering trees, sap thickened and slowed by the night cold. Things of the night withdrew like the tide as the sky lifted and lightened ushering in a brand new day…..
May 6, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



bridges.
ReplyDeletei like the idea of that metaphor.
Colors are words you say
ReplyDeletecolor is way
Way, is the melting day
and the melted day is gone away.
Away is a way, you have been away.
glad I found you here and well,
my curiosity about what happened to
you is black....
Now that I have found the color.
You Zofo are the colors you write.
I was an old hen worried.
now, I am the youthful nymph
away I go.
and ther dreams...where i want to fly...flutter my wings...and fall on the ground...
ReplyDeletetuta tuta ek parinda...
The patience with which your words view sights erases the possiblity of time. Awesome
ReplyDelete"Something in me loves a bridge like I love dreams in which I’m flying."
ReplyDelete"Something in me fears a bridge like I hate dreams in which I’m flying."
you write beautifully!
I chanced by your blog...and am i glad i did!
ReplyDeleteSimply love the photographs you've taken...esp of sikkim! And your writing is interesting as well as informative.Will surely keep dropping by... :)
ps: will be sharing your blog with other interested friends if that's ok with u!
me back again! :)
ReplyDeletehappened to check out ur other blog and was literally gawking with envy at the slideshow...envy bec I wish I was there. Great snaps!(i think ive already mentioned that,rt?! he he)
Only there was so much happening on that blog I decided to post my comment on this...(don't mind)
and yes, if u happen to recheck my blog, i have replied to ur comment...u shd find it informative. :P
cheers!