One Liners....
They are short in construction. Powerful in delivery and have permeated the physche (atleast mine) to leave a lasting impressions
They are:
Some of the best one line dialogues from the World of Cinema, which have stayed with me or I can still in my minds eye picture them, simply because they are just so ...so profound.
1. “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse” –
(Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone, in The Godfather Part I. ,1972) The other phrases
which I like from this film "Luca Brasi is sleeping with the fishes.... and "Sonny says
we're going to the matresses...
2. “May the force be with you” – Star Wars 1977.
3. “You Talking to Me” – (Robert De Nero in front of a mirror, in the Taxi Driver 1976.)
4. “Go Ahead (punk) make my day” – Clint Eastwood as Inspector “Dirty” Harry
allaghan in Sudden Impact, 1983.)
5 “Say Hello To My Little Friend” - (Al Pacino as Tony Montana (in a great Latino
accent) weilding a machine gun in Scar Face)
6. “Free Your Mind”- Morpheus to Neo in The Matrix.
7. “Oh, The Horror, The Horror.” – (Marlon Brando as Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse
Now.)
Matrix a pun on “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we are not in Kansas Anymore (from
The Wizard of Oz, 1939)
9. “I love the smell of Napalm in the morning … it smells…. Like Victory” –
(David Duvall as Lt.Col. Kilgore in Apocalypse Now.)
10. “Oh, I’m sorry, did I break your concentration”, (Samuel L Jackson as Jules in
Pulp Fiction)
11. "Is it safe?" (Laurence Olivier as Doctor Szell in The Marathon Man)
12. “Show me the Money” – (Cuba Gooding Jnr. To Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire)
13. "Am I not MERCIFUL!!!", (J.Phoneix as Commodus in Gladiator.)
14. "At my signal Unleash Hell" - Russell Crowe as Maximus Decimus Aurelius, in
Gladiator. Another from this movie "What we do in life echoes an eternity"
15. "You had me at "Hello""--- Rene Zellweger to Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire.
16. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." - Humprey Bogart as Rick in Casablanca 1942 another one "Here's Looking at you Kid."
17. "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin' -- Morgan Freeman as Red in The Shawshank
Remdemption.
18. "Kitne Adami They" - Amjad Khan as Gabbar Singh to Sambha in Sholay .1975
19. Choose Life, " . Ewan Mc Gregor as Mark Renton *THE RENT BOY*. in Trainspotting.
20. "E.T. Phone Home" -- E.T. Directed by Steven Spilberg
21. "Run Forest Run". Robin Wiliam Wright Penn as Jenny in Forest Gump.
22. "Frankly, my dear I don't give a Damn",Clark Gable as Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind.1939
23. "Are you trying to Seduce me Mrs. Robinson?" - Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate
24. "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" - Peter Sellers as President Merkin Muffley: in Dr. Strangelove. directed by Stanley Kubrick.
25. "God must've been a fucking genius"-- Al Pacino as Lt..Col.Frank Slade in Scent of A
Woman another quote from this movie I like is You are in no position to disagree
I've got a loaded .45 & you got pimples
Now its time for the corny ones, the ones you wish had never been uttered. The ones you could strangle people for ever uttering them and the ones which make you cringe....
1. “I’ll be Back” – Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator.
2. “I am The King of the World” – Leonardo Di Caprio, in Titanic.
(How much I hate this is beyond words, I hate it, hate, hate, it.)
3. “The name’s Bond, James Bond” – Dr. No
4. "Yeah Baby" - Austin Powers in The Spy Who Shagged Me.
5. “Love means never having to say sorry.’’ –
Ali Macgraw as Jenny Cavilleri in Love Story & in many a Bollywood film we have versions of this or something very similiar., they have absolutely made it the most clichéd of the cliché’d dialouge in the world.
Spoiled my reading which was otherwise a very good book for ever because I picture Salman Khan & Bhagyashree (or choose any from the myriad assortment of dumb bollywood bimbettes, willing to say this on screen.) I curse them to the pits of Dante’s Purgatory for queering the pitch for me & a lot of other people.






So many one-liners! And yes I did recognize most of them. I'm trying to think of some right now but I think you covered all the most popular ones!
ReplyDelete"mere paas maa hai"
ReplyDeleteshashi kapoor to Big B in Deewar, directerd by Yash Chopra
oh my god. you have some of my favourite lines EVER:
ReplyDelete1: Godfather makes it to the top 5 on my favourite movies list.
2: i'm such a SW Junkie, it isn't funny! there's also of course, 'Luke, I am your father' 'You're NOT my FATHERRRRR...' we used to enact that bit with our hockey sticks at school. haha.
3,4,5, 8, 9 {AN is an EXCELLNT MOVIE.} 12,
15: our running joke is a response to this.. 'You had me at hello..'
'shut up. i never said hello!' i know it's LAME, but i think it's hilarious.
16,
19: one of my favourite books and Ewan is one of my favourite actors..EVER.
22: -sigh- Clarke Gable..wow. where did that calibre of actors go!?
23, 25
and you forget in cheesiness:
'The greatest thing you'll ever know is to love and be loved, in return' .. Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant, absolutely brilliant list
ReplyDeleteHere is one of my favorites from you’ve got mail when Tom hanks is explaining to Meg ryan her about going to the mattresses…
The Godfather is the I Ching. The Godfather is the sum of all wisdom. The Godfather is the answer to any question. What should I pack for my summer vacation? "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." What day of the week is it? "Maunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday." And the answer to your question is "Go to the mattresses."
Every Godfather fan has to agree…
hmmm!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is some list zofo!! It has almost all the one line dialogues i thought there should be...! I personally like Marlon brando's the best! Cheers! :)
ReplyDeleteLiked almost all of them...
ReplyDeleteNice list there! :))
Godfather, well, *nods approval*
ReplyDeletePulp Fiction is the damnest coolest movie. Shameful I forgot all me fav lines from that movie
Nice list :)
ReplyDeleteI've even used, You had me at hello. *blush*
Thankfully, there was no-one like Risha to say, I never said hello.
wow! what a list.
ReplyDelete"Kitne Adami They" and "Frankly, my dear I don't give a Damn" rock!!
oh and of course, Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets..that has some CLASSIC lines..best of all,
ReplyDelete'go sell crazy someplace else. we're all stocked up here.'
and of course,
'i grew up in hell. my grandmother has more attitude than you!'
or,
'people who talk in metaphors ought to shampoo my crotch'
and as sexist as this gets,
'how do you write women so well?'
'i think of a man and take away all reason and accountability.'
i'll stop now.
Nice list.
ReplyDeleteBut one question.
How in the world did you recollect all of em? I cannot recollect ONE, be it a favorite or a cheesy one. But you wrote, what? close to a thousand? Well, close.
rOCK0n!
I loved this. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteAnd the post beneath this one made me shiver. Hehe.