Sep 13, 2005

Desert Mirage

Red, all red and black on the heights, and the rest bleaching to chalk. Rock, rock in every form: jagged and smooth, gleaming like a saddle polished through many campaigns or dull as a cyst.
Scrub. Desert. Rock, again rock ignited by the blinding sun.

And here I am now, the precipitate of complex desires, these bloody genetic spirals: I lie under this cupola, dried to a yellow husk by the heat of the south. My vista is empty, except for a rock and at last a crow. And then a thunder – blue cloud, chanting to itself, although it will sail elsewhere to deliver its burden of rain.

Not even the mind can be tethered here. I drift into dreams. The cupola folds itself around me like a marble placenta. The sun speckles the brown of remembered eyes with gold. All is chill and marmoreal to the touch. I drift further. A chalk – white face and the slanting fall of a steel crescent. Then a band of saw -  tooth mercenaries hacking their way through the gaps in the hills, plunging into valleys where the blacksmiths have forgotten the gentle arts of the cutlass and the bridle. I drift northwards to meet my ancestors as they come down again, over the east slopes.

The sky is the thinnest of tissues today. If I could, I would wet it with what tears I have, and watch it crumple and tear along its creases in my hands.

8 comments:

  1. loved the litle bit about your tears and the tissue.
    Thought I'd drop in and say hey. Its been a while.

    The blog url has changed : www.iyeruptheladder.com.

    Later

    ReplyDelete
  2. the comments are e-mailed to me. So I got it despite being deleted here. My MSN ID has been hacked. No access!

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be the younger sister of someone who reads Spike Milligan and Alan Coren ... They're comic writer and amazing ones at that.
    Oure genius.
    Can be vexing in itself !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love Spike Milligan . He's too cool.
    www.spikemilligan.co.uk .

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last bit was so well written..Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Beautifully written final pargraph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. searchinformrmojorisin & ~River~

    thanks for the appreciation, it is my fav too
    cheers
    z

    ReplyDelete