excerpts from Ladakh Diary
The overcast sky merges with evening; it is soon dark. I lie on my bed '._ eating monaco biscuits with some jam& some dried rasins.
It's about all I can keep down in this thin air. Altitude always sends your appetite haywire.
The silence of the night is shattered hourly by the long cries of another gust of wind. It shrieks as it rages across this high desert and then it hits my flimsy tent. For now the guy ropes hold (barely).
This high desert amplifies each mournful Sound and entwines it with the weak threads of my own thought.
Normally I enjoy solitude, but tonight my aloneness oppresses me like the magnified sound of blood beating in my ears. Nothing brings it home more than this rugged desolate plain which stretches out before me
I seem to equate my life with the landscape before me.
Rock, Rock, Desert, Ashen mountain scapes covered with a fine silt of dust which were once rocks but have been rendered thus by the jealous love of the north wind..
The wind loves the rock just so...
I fall asleep only towards dawn. Across the road an Army Depot where I hope to buy fuel in the morn.
Across the treeless street
A moist breeze blows.
I re-arrange my sheet,
Wiggle my cold toes,
Stare at the sky, and toss,
---------------Insomniac.
The wind comes like a freight train
Screaming through wide plains
Alongside, the scent of distant rain.
I am too tired tonight
To sleep. I lie Companion less.
The white Clouds gut the sky.
Orion, Pleiades, Plough,
All signs and certainties
Are lost to vision now.
The Army trucks come Unload.
The loaded trucks move on.
This is the great depot
Where nothing stays.
The hours move towards light.
Sleep: in the tall-skied days
You will forget me tonight.
==============================================
In The Nubra Valley.




What glorious photography!
ReplyDeleteWhat an experience!
altitude makes me poetic, too. i do wonder how many people remember me, too, when i remember them.
ReplyDeleteMan...
ReplyDeleteFabulous pics..
this is like heaven!:)
And I agreee with yer comment :)
ReplyDeletesilly gals!!
lovely words...you have crafted it so beautifully & some EXCEPTIONAL shots...Excellent!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful writing Zofo .. what a touching piece and glorious pics .. for a moment I felt being there and going through these emotions that you so desolately described..
ReplyDeleteeloquent ....
ReplyDeleteloved it
alok
Entirely peaceful pics!
ReplyDelete& like the way you have described your adventures...Good Work!
Per usual, Superb.
ReplyDeleteDéjà vu!
ReplyDeleteM remembering the camping night at Pangong...feels like a dream
I like the way you build it through a jam monaco. And the mountains seem out of this planet. Beautiful
ReplyDeleteZofo,
ReplyDeleteI hope you are pursuing print publication. You write with such brilliance.
Sometimes I want to post some of my real poetry but I worry about the copyright thing. Every so often an advertiser cribs some prose off my space. I was furious when I wrote a little thingy about the "Dark Swan" and the next thing I see it on techno as an advertisement for some dumb product. Have you had any problems like this?
Do stop by sometime.
Beautiful words and lovely shots.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post, Zofo. I particularly enjoy your traveling tales.
ReplyDeletethanks elise.
ReplyDeleteYes, you have a remarkable talent for prose. I stopped back to read your newest post and wish you a happy solstice. Even the most melancholy of poets deserves a bit of light.
ReplyDeletethanks elise.. you are wonderful. and yes ushered in the winter solstice in style... spent it camping out watching the stars...
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by and a very happy holiday season to you too.,. will drop by your blog soon.
cheers
z