Nov 9, 2008

Alpenglow


Mountains to me are more then rock and ice, they are the repository of my dreams, aspirations and ambitions.

Upwards they soar in a valiant attempt to breach the umbrella of the skies, and sometimes the clouds in the sky are brought down to shroud the mountain in mist. Adding mystery, aura and amazing views into the already perfect picture.

The sun rising and setting seen in the mountains is very unique as not all the landscape is lit up at the same time, if you are high enough you see patches of other peaks which glow golden and the skies which do a brilliant dance with the colors lighting it up.

There is nothing quite like it in the world to view and stand in stunned awe, mesmerized by it all.
It's also such a humbling experience as only when you stand close to them, can you really appreciate their massive size and girth which photographs can never truly convey (I've been trying for years to get their majesty down on film but as yet have never succeeded in their true portrayal - foreshortening can be such a bitch!!!) Its an ongoing quest which someday I hope will come to fruition .. till then I'll keep trying.

I am happiest when in their midst...And to the mountains is where I shall always return, no matter what.

14 comments:

  1. surreal.. here one can explore the mysteries of life with abandon... taking unusual risks along the way..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..
    Its so reassuring to see them stand so bravely.. Genuinely, they make one's sense of optimism go tapdancing... :) and their breathtaking beauty stops one from breathing loudly lest (s)he disturbs their meditation...

    Pleasure reading you again...

    Cheers,
    Ashen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The intangibles [dreams, aspirations] are the rock of life ...

    And the insurmountable nature quite often evokes transcendental emotions ... difficult to pen down in words ...

    Anyways a phenomenal photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty!

    How're you, Zofo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks All
    Aria : Its the risk that becomes addictive.

    Ashenglow
    Jyoti : Aye.. and we all build our dreams on such intangibles always.

    Fingers: Nice to see you here .. been a long time.. I am good though..

    Cheers and thanks for the comments all.
    z

    ReplyDelete
  6. The image of the mountains is stunning. Take our internal feelings of ancestral memories, perhaps forgotten, perhaps inherited. That light and that image is the beginning of a fantasy deep into the unknown.
    Greetings from Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have often dreamed of mountain vistas. My usual escape scenario is by the Atlantic Ocean. Or in Berkeley at the Marina watching the sun sit at the feet of the sleeping maiden (Mount Tamalpais).

    Thanks for sharing your perspective and views of the world with us, Zofo.

    Oh, and I am leaving you a melancholy salutation for a vanishing autumn day when gold leaves burnish to smoke.

    Your friend from the other side of the world,
    /ph

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine this place as awakening into a tangerine dream filled with the smoke of the Oracle. What beyond this perfection can be revealed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. feels like fire on ice...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helenic Gluac: Thanks for visiting.

    PH: Thanks for your lovely comments as always Elise. Tangerine Dreams indeed.

    Drifting LeafL Thanks and good to see you back here.
    cheers
    z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I visited your Flickr stream. Great pictures, esply of mountains! Do you climb too? We love the mountains too, and try and do some hiking in their midst in some part of the world every year. Have read every book I could find on climbing in the Himalayas - your pictures capture their essence well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photo of the mountains...there is something truly humbling about being in the midst of mountains that helps us put life in the right perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too am happiest in the mountains. I miss them terribly (almost to the point of tears)living on the outskirts of a busy city. Your photograph is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Bindu:
    Thanks for visiting my flickr stream, Yeah I climb, its a dream to cover all the sub ranges of the Himalayas before I am through...

    Oh you a mountain literature fan as well.. I have another blog at http://throughopeneyes.blogspot.com
    which mainly deals with Himalayan Climbing History, if you're interested have a dekkho!!

    @vagabond:
    Yes the mountains are truly humbling they make you realize the sheer scale of creation and put things in perspective, thats why I love going back to them again and again.

    @ Robyn:
    Escape from the cities at least once a year to visit the mountains.. I make it a point to get away as many times as I can..

    Thanks for visiting and commenting all..
    cheers
    Z.

    ReplyDelete