Apr 23, 2006

Memories of Sikkim

Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars forever dwell;

I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Satrs farewell....


A Place for Contemplation
I have been kind of subdued ever since I got back from Sikkim. I miss it very much, seldom do you visit a place which speaks to your inner self so intimately or awakens the emotion of belonging there. How I want for that inner voice to be true that I belong there and I wish I can keep going back there time and time again and maybe one day find my own Utopia there... a wooden cabin on the spur of a mountain, with a naughty brook of fresh ice melt, leaping from stone to stone on its way to find a bigger stream and its journey to the sea.

I am still reveling in my memories of that enchanted place. The sense of peace I felt there, is hard to express in words. There are times when you say That this is as good good as its gonna get. Well such was the feeling I felt there.

Every stone spoke volumes, each gust of wind brought a fresh smell and freshness of the rhododendron flowering forests and hillsides on its wings,

The lakes there had every imaginable shade of turquoise and blues from dark cobalt to aqua marine and millions of shades in between.

The skies shone with a clearness which you cannot experience in a city now a days, The local Lepchas and Bhutias derive a certain happiness living off the land with their Yaks and wild horses. They always had a smile to offer to you and it lit up faces and rosy cheeks, Somehow in the city we lack this simple joy of living...we are too busy in our own mundane existence to worry about LIVING LIFE for fun.... It was magical for the short time I was in that environ

Since I have been back, I have a far away look in my eyes. In my mind I am still there. I am quiet and have nothing much to say to anyone *which is normal*, but there is a reluctance to speak about it as if sharing the experience will somehow rob some of the luster off the visit for me. There is an emptiness that I feel which again is hard to explain. I feel like a foreigner back at home & homesick for Sikkim once again.

There are very few places left in the world which are unsullied from the march of progress and the everyday rat race and traveling in the valleys of Sikkim you come to just such a place, a bubble in time and space.

Life goes on there on its own pace, sure you find Coke and Pepsi there too..but still considering other parts of India, I am glad that Sikkim is relatively secluded from the rest of the country.
The only other place to evoke similar feelings in me was after my first visit to Ladakh & Spiti Valley....I like to call such places my Zen Locales where I find a completeness unlike anywhere else.

8 comments:

  1. "I am quiet and have nothing much to say to anyone *which is normal*, but there is a reluctance to speak about it as if sharing the experience will somehow rob some of the lusture off the visit for me. There is an emptiness that I feel which again is hard to explain..."

    some gems,my dear insomniac are buried deep within the soul. u do not know of their existence till there is something as moving in the outer environ as well.you just relate to it.knowing it to be something you own, you possess. deep down there. but what it is, u cannot say. its just silence and a lot of reticence. like homecoming. relaxing. and then u dont want to talk about it.its personal, precious..and just your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah!

    Filled me with serenity. Wanna go to a place all quiet, my laptop and music cuddling me...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big time noisy person … one of those noticed-by-noise sort... but then this heart do get into a quiet mode, which has become frequent these days; I would be intently listening to somebody and there - the heart closes off into a shelf. A blank face mode. Dunno how to put it .. Well the point is that your words and mist filled landscapes and happy faces smeared with dirt makes me feel like a dejavu ... with a tinge of serenity .. maybe its the inner self asking to quit the whole charade ...

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel your ties to a land.

    and i understand them.

    and i understand the pain that taut and stretched ties bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been there, but after your descriptions , I'm being haunted too...

    Ps:You had left me comment ages ago...I never knew off it as I'm rather blogger illiterate, just figured I'm supposed to moderate comments... oh well better late then never.
    thanks for stopping bye,
    I

    ReplyDelete
  6. that last pic
    isnt it the road to heaven ???
    wow
    amazing blog
    i envy you, coz uve been to such beautiful places
    cool man. amazing post. amazing pics
    Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. zoro
    its been a year since i came from sikkim. Your article poured everything that was in my system- feeling waiting to get articulated...
    do have a look at my site
    and also
    www.sikkimyst.com
    I would use that pic.... for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:53 PM

    What is it about that place that seems casts a spell on every visitor? I just returned from Sikkim 2 weeks ago and am experiencing every single thing you describe. I feel my spirit belongs there and I yearn to return. I don't think it is just the untouched beauty of the place. I have been to other beautiful places but have never felt anything like the pull that Sikkim has on my soul. She is an enchantress and I have fallen completely under her magical charms.

    ReplyDelete