Nov 30, 2005

The Ghost of George Leigh Mallory

I wandered far that night. The darkness surrounded me, held, me, craddled me, kept me safe.

I was the darkness in the shadows. Unseen. Safe.

Confidently stiding through the night I was unbreakable. Unbeatable.

Such were my thoughts.


Skirting the obstacles. Retreating to safety.

The darkness in my mind pervasive and convincing.

Allowing no room for error. Allowing no room for light.

A voice whispered. Quietly.

I looked around but no one was around.

Moving deeper into the shadows I yearned to listen. Feared to listen.

The Calling. Insistent. Never failing. Pulling me forward.

Shadows lessened. Dawn arrived.

Sunlight edged the horizon and spilled gloriously onto the waiting earth.

Golden pools upon my upturned face. Still the whispers did not subside.

I screamed. It was more than I could bear. I melted under the onslaught.

There was no safety. It burned.

Wind came with the piercing golden light. Tearing at my soul. Plucking at my clothing.

Threatening to carry me back to the safety of the night.

I could not stand. There was no support. I fell to my knees. My unseeing eyes closed against the light and the turbulent wind.

Crying. Terrified. Blindly reaching out.

A hand took mine. Sure. Steady. Pulled me to my feet.

Clinging. Sobbing. The light hurt.

A hand wiped my brow. A strong arm held me close.

No more illusions. No more empty safety.

Only truth.

Opening my eyes I began to live again.

0 Wandering Thoughts: